Thursday, April 10, 2014

A New Hobby

I've started a new hobby recently and it's all because I'm a reader.  One of the authors that I like to read is Debbie Macomber and many of her books have characters who knit.  She even has a series where the primary setting is in a yarn store and the group of women meet because they are doing a knitting class together.  After reading so much about it, I had to try it for myself.  Since my mom and my sister read the same author, they were game to try it with me.

I've been surprised at exactly how much I've enjoyed knitting.  I knit a scarf for each of my kids (which is extremely useful in Arizona).  Still, they were excited about it and kept coming to check the progress on their scarf.  I've started knitting a few dish cloths recently just to do something different and to use up some of my left over yarn.  I'm looking forward to trying new projects.

All of this makes me realize how much reading can influence what you want to try or where you want to go.  I want to visit places that I would have never had any interest in except that I've read about it in some story.  I've wanted to try activities simply because a character in a book enjoyed it.  I've wanted to try certain foods only because the description in a story sounded so good.  Which shows how important it is that the books I read are honoring to God.

I'm reminded of Philippians 4:8.  "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."  What am I thinking about after I read a book?  Is it honorable?  Is it lovely?  Is it pure?  If not, I need to rethink what I'm reading.

On the flip side, as an author, what do I want my readers to be thinking about as they read my books?  Would my stories fit within the qualifications of this verse?  I certainly hope so!  

No comments:

Post a Comment