Monday, September 1, 2014

Dedication: Smell the Roses


After my husband, the next most obvious people to dedicate my book to was my parents.  I dedicated Smell the Roses to both of my parents because I couldn't possibly choose one over the other.  When I first told my parents that I was writing a book, they were both excited and supportive.  It would have been so easy for them to think that I was wasting my time or to warn me that the likelihood of my ever getting published was not good.  Instead they acted like it was completely natural for me to be writing a book and that they would fully expect to one day expect to see a book with my name written on the cover.  Their reaction gave me confidence to continue and see where it went.

Both of my parents have helped with editing my books, although my mom is more active in that aspect than my dad.  I know that I could go through my book ten times and still miss errors simply because I know what it's supposed to say.  I'm so thankful to have fresh eyes take a look at my books and catch those errors or those phrases that don't make sense.

I know my parents are proud of my writing.  My dad actually has read my books which says a lot and I can honestly say that I am the only romance author he has ever read.  My dad likes to tell people that his daughter is an author and I can hear the pride in his voice when he does.  My mom enjoys reading my books and she loves to tell her friends that are looking for a new book to read that they should try my books.  I appreciate her willingness to "advertise" for me.

My parents taught us the value of hard work by example and taught us that we should serve the Lord, not to gain us "brownie points" or to get noticed, but to thank God for all He's done for us and to spread the Word.  I can't remember my parents ever going to church and not being involved in some sort of ministry.  I appreciated seeing them serve and then later they brought me alongside them so that I could learn from them how to serve.

My family is close.  We just enjoy spending time together.  I love the times that I can cheer on our favorite sports team with my parents, or play board games.  I can talk to my parents for hours.  My dad and I have always been close.  My mom and I are so much alike that we understand each other better than anyone else.  This makes her someone that I can go to when I'm struggling because most likely, she's been there too and she understands.  

Thank you, Dad and Mom, for all your support and help!  I love you!


Now for a quick update.  Mom has finished editing and is going through a second time to double check.  Meghan thinks she should finish up sometime this weekend.  Which means that hopefully I can start the final edit either this week or next!

If you haven't read the first two books, you can find them by clicking on the links below!

Best Laid Plans
Smell the Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment