Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Taking Note


My friend, Meghan, gave me this journal for Christmas in 2002. I only know this because I wrote the date on the inside cover. Her idea was that I would write a story in the journal and then share it with her. My first entry was dated September 2004, and I had decided to make it a devotion journal - and apparently I was hit and miss in writing in it. I used it for about a year and then moved on to something else. It's sat with only those entries in it until recently when I found a new use for it - a little more along the lines of what it was intended for.

While writing the KW Consulting series, I found that there were small details that I could never remember. Inevitably, when I was writing the next book, I would have to go back to the previous book to check on how many kids Brooke's brother had and did I name them? Or how old was Mark's sister and how did I spell her name? These things kept coming up and it was frustrating to not be able to just have it at my fingertips.

So, when I started editing Resolution Room, I decided to write down names, relationships, ages, employment, etc. of anyone and everyone in the book. Now when I start to write the second book, if I have a question about Carol's daughters or her friend or her friend's family, I have it all written down in one place. It only took me writing five books to figure out such a simple solution, but at least I figured it out.

Meghan, your gift didn't really go the way you had planned it, but it is definitely helping me write some stories for you to read. Thank you, my friend!

In case you didn't know, Resolution Room is now available on Kindle. You can find it by clicking the link below.

Resolution Room

No comments:

Post a Comment