Monday, April 29, 2013

Self-publishing

A friend of mine told me that she has always wanted to write a book and asked how I knew how to get started with self-publishing for Kindle.  Actually, the first thing I looked into was publishing through a company that offers more support.  They do the leg work for you:  have the cover art made up, get the book on ebook sites and in print and make sure it gets into stores.  It's a great option - if you have the money to afford it.  The price was several hundred to several thousand dollars and I have to admit that I felt discouraged when I saw the prices.  There was no way for me to afford that service.  Even when they offered to break it into monthly payments it still seemed unattainable for me.

I can't remember now who it was that first told me about Kindle publishing, but I decided that it was worth looking into.  My whole family has Kindles - both the actual readers and apps on their phones or tablets and so I was familiar with Kindle.  I went to the Amazon site and was surprised to find that they publish your book with no cost to you and offer a couple of different royalty options.  I read it over several times, talked it over with my husband and finally decided that this was the best way for me to make my entrance into the magical world of authorship.

One of the suggestions that Amazon made was to download a free Kindle ebook about publishing for Kindle.  It was amazingly helpful.  It talked about how to format the document, how to get it uploaded, suggestions for cover art, and basically walked me through the entire process.  I went chapter by chapter with it at my computer and worked on getting my book done with the proper settings so that when it was finally uploaded, it would be exactly how I wanted it to be.

All in all it was a relatively easy and pain-free procedure.

As always, if you have questions or suggestions, I would love to hear them.  If you'd like to check out my book, just click on the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Plans-Consulting-Series-ebook/dp/B0098O5A7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367274458&sr=8-1&keywords=best+laid+plans+courtney+lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment