Monday, May 6, 2013

Day Dreaming

When I went to the University of Arizona, I had a half an hour drive to get to school and then a half an hour walk once I got there since I didn't have a parking permit.  All that time alone gave me time to day dream.  I would wonder what would happen in certain situations and then day dream about it to see what would happen.

One day I wondered what would happen if a wedding planner had to plan her ex's wedding.  The scenario popped up often as I walked to school and eventually characters emerged.  They developed features and names.  This scenario stuck with me for several years.  It wasn't until three or four years after I graduated from the U of A that I even began to write Best Laid Plans and it would take me five years to complete it since I would write for a while and then forget about it for a time.  Yet  I would still think about the characters and the various situations that they might face.  When I felt I had something worked out, I would sit down and type.

I still day dream a lot.  I don't have that long drive and walk anymore, but just about anytime alone allows my thoughts to drift.  When I get to a place where I feel stuck and don't know where to take my characters, I often just leave them there for a while and use my alone time to think of different ways to go.  Then when I get something I like, I return to my writing.

I often use day dreaming to think about my next book as well.  While writing Best Laid Plans, I decided that the other wedding planners needed their stories told as well and Georgia's story started to develop.  Now that I'm writing book two, I often think about book three.  It helps me keep one step ahead so that as soon as the book is finished and published, I can immediately begin writing the next story.

As always I look forward to hearing any questions or advice you may have for me, and you can see my book by clicking on the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Plans-Consulting-Series-ebook/dp/B0098O5A7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367906685&sr=8-1&keywords=best+laid+plans+courtney+lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment