Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day

My mom is a reader.  Her idea of a great vacation is someplace quiet so that she can read as many books as possible.  She always has a book on her nightstand, on her desk, in her purse - and now with ebooks, on her phone and on her Kindle.  She was my example to be a reader.

As I got older, she began directing me to some of her own favorite books, authors and series.  It was my mom who suggested that I read "Anne of Green Gables" and "Gone with the Wind".  During the summer, my mom would take us to the library where I would come home with stacks of books because all I wanted to do on my summer vacation was read.  My mom and I have a similar taste in books - we're actual a lot alike in many ways - and now that I'm an adult we swap books all the time knowing that if one of us liked it, the other one will, too.  Usually when we loan books to each other, it's followed with the statement "Let me know when you're done, because I want to talk about it with you."

Before I published my book, I knew I wanted a few people to read it first.  I wanted people who were avid readers (particularly of romance) and who could be honest without being hurtful.  I wanted them to tell me what needed to change and what would make it better.  I also wanted them to catch any errors like a character's name changing or a contradiction of something that had happened before.  Then I wanted them to be my editors.  I gave them a difficult task and I knew it.  I chose three women:  my mom, my sister and my closest friend.  It was scary to let them read my book.  I was opening myself up to criticism, which I knew I needed, and it was important to choose people who would be encouraging as well as critical.

My mom was a huge encouragement and still able to point out things that needed changing or clarification.  I remember her telling me that while she was reading it she was watching some of her grandchildren, and she really wanted to just sit and read my book. However, she knew that it needed her full concentration to help me and wouldn't have that with the little ones running around.  She also told me that, in some ways, my book reminded her of Debbie Macomber, who is one of our favorite authors!  I know she's my mom and is biased, but it made me happy anyway.  She also pointed out some key flaws to my story and asked some questions that helped me develop the characters a little bit more.

My mom is one of my best friends, one of my biggest supporters and a huge help to me.  I know my book would have been lacking without her help and her encouragement gave me the courage I needed to actually go through with the publishing process and put my book out there for others to read.  Mom, I love you so much!  Thank you for everything you've done, for all your encouragement and all your help!  I couldn't have done it without you!

As always, please feel free to offer advice or submit a question.  If you'd like to receive my blog in your email, you can sign up below and if you'd like to check out my book, just click the link below.
Best Laid Plans by Courtney Lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment