Monday, May 20, 2013

High School

I just went to my cousin's high school graduation yesterday.  That made me think that it's been fifteen years since I graduated from high school.  Now I feel old.

It was actually back in high school that I began to write.  A few of my friends and I would write stories.  Then we would switch and read them so we could offer constructive criticism.  Often they would bring up things that I had never noticed before which helped make the story better.  My stories back then were short, not very detailed and, to be honest, not very good.  Yet I stilled enjoyed writing.

I never had any intention of actually publishing anything back then.  I had wanted to be a teacher.  My writing was just a fun pastime.  I think those times got writing in my system and now when I have a story in my head I just have to write it down.

I'm pretty sure that none of my friends who read my stories thought I would ever one day write a full book and publish it.  As nice as they were to me, I'm sure they realized that my stories were not good.  They were so encouraging to me though.  I'm sure if they had known I was writing a book, they would have been cheering me on and helping me out any way they could.

Even though it's been so long since I've been in high school, I'm so thankful for the support I got from my friends back then.  They ignited a fire in me to write and gave me the assurance I needed to keep on.

Best Laid Plans by Courtney Lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment