Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day

There is a book called The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  In his book Gary Chapman says that there are five love languages and that everyone has one that is their specific love language and they might have a secondary one as well.  His idea is that when we don't feel loved in a relationship it's because we may be speaking different languages.  According to him, the five love languages are physical touch, words of affirmation, quality time, gift giving, and acts of service.  These languages can affect any relationship.  It's not solely in for marital relations.

One of my love languages is words of affirmation.  A kind word, an encouraging word can put me in a glow that can last for days.  I'm pretty sure that my dad also has words of affirmation as one of his.  He has probably encouraged me verbally through the entire writing process more than anyone.  When I first brought up that I was writing a book, my dad talked about "when" my book would be published, not "if".  He's always been positive that my book will do well and that I would succeed as an author.  I love that he never tried to convince me to try something less risky.  He never once intimated that I might fail.  I love that about my dad.

Another thing I love about my dad is that he actually read my book.  I wrote a romance novel.  That is not my dad's "thing".  He reads a lot, but he enjoys histories, biographies and thrillers.  Romance is definitely not what he wants to read.  Yet he bought my book and read the whole thing.  I would have understood if he hadn't read it, but I appreciate that he did.  Again, he only had positive, uplifting words for me afterwards.  

My dad has been such a support for me.  He encourages me when I get discouraged.  Most of all, he believes in me - or I should say, he believes that God can work in me.  He always reminds me that God is in control of my situation and that my future is in His hands.  I have been blessed with a wonderful father!  I love you, Dad!  Thank you for your constant faith in me!  Happy Father's Day!

Best Laid Plans by Courtney Lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment