Monday, June 24, 2013

A Bunch of Characters

I don't know how other authors do it, but my characters come to me sort of nameless and shapeless at first.  As they begin to interact with others, they begin developing personalities and physical characteristics.  The last thing they usually get is a name.  Usually a name will "come to me" so to speak.  Sometimes I love the name and sometimes I have a moment where I want to say "Really?  That's their name?"  It's actually rather odd.  You would think that I have more control, but somehow the characters almost seem to name themselves.

Georgia was a character that named herself.  It wasn't really a decision on my part.  That just seemed to be her name.  It wasn't until I began to write her story that I realized why that was her name.  While I was writing I actually thought, "Oh!  That's why her name is Georgia!"  It wasn't planned ahead of time.  I don't know why it sometimes happens that way, but I always think it's cool when it does occur like that.  It feels as if they are more alive that way because it's almost as if I'm learning about them as I go.

When that happens, it's only after they have a name that I write them into the story.  Sometimes, as I'm writing, a character comes in that I suddenly have to name.  In that case, it's usually the name that first comes to mind.  I've only had a couple times when that name ended up changing because it didn't seem to fit.

Someday I'd like to write a book where the names mean something.  I read a series one time where I liked the main character's name well enough that I had to look up it's meaning, and it fit the character so well that I ended up looking up several more characters names to find that their name meanings fit perfectly with their characters as well.  I think it would be fun to write a book where the characters have names that are relevant to their personalities or positions.  I enjoy researching names and meanings so I think I could have a good time with that.

For now though, my KW Consulting Series characters have been naming themselves and it seems to be a system that is working.  If you haven't read book one yet, you can click on the link below to purchase it and if you have read it, I'm hoping that book two will be available this fall.

Best Laid Plans by Courtney Lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment