Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Vacations & Locations

Our family has been on two long vacations this summer.  From Arizona we went to Iowa for my cousin's graduation and were able to stop for a time in Missouri and Colorado on our way home.  Just this past week we went to Minnesota for my husband's grandpa's 90th birthday and were able to see Mt. Rushmore on our way up.  They were both fantastic times spent with our families and we enjoyed them immensely.

I particularly enjoyed the trips because I got to see states that I have never seen before and visit places I have never been.  Living in the southwest of the U.S. means that I see a lot of desert and mountains which I absolutely love.  It was great to see the Rockies, the Badlands, prairies, lakes and forests across the country.  I love seeing God's creation in such tremendous diversity.  I believe these trips may help me as an author as well.

I purposely set "Best Laid Plans" vaguely.  I wanted it to be almost an "Any Town, U.S.A." if possible.  It was great to see such a large stretch of the country to be able to broaden my view a bit.  Hopefully in the future I can feel more comfortable having a specific setting to place my characters in.  That's what I'm working towards.

I know I have a lot to learn.  I'm just beginning on this road and I'm very aware of my inadequacies.  I've loved hearing the encouraging reviews I've received and I especially enjoy the constructive criticism that has been mixed in.  I hope that I can learn from each of them!

If you'd like to check out my book, just click on the link below.
Best Laid Plans by Courtney Lyman

No comments:

Post a Comment