Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Dealing with Discouragement


Discouragement can be part of the life of a writer.  It can get a hold of me if I don't watch out.  I can be discouraged when a review isn't quite as glowing as I would like or if my book has very few reviews (my last two books only have one review each).  I can be discouraged that I only have three fans on Goodreads.com - two of them are my best friends.  I can be discouraged that someone bought my book only to return it (what if they read the first chapter and absolutely hated it?)  I can be discouraged that I can't afford to see my books in print or that no publisher has miraculously discovered my books, loved them and is wanting to sign me up to write for their company.  I can be discouraged when I don't have time to write like I would like to.

The worst for me is when I have a slow sales month.  That was what happened last month.  I had one of the worst months I have had since I only had one book published.  I don't know why it was slow and maybe that's what drives me a little bit crazy.  I can think up all sorts of ridiculous scenarios for why things are so bad.  Someone really powerful read my book and then posted a blog to millions of people about how terrible it was, urging them to not waste their time or money on my books.  Or something like that.  I have a very active imagination which is good for writing, but not so good when I begin to worry about things.

So how do I combat discouragement?  First and foremost, I pray.  I put what I am worried about, concerned about, what is dragging me down into God's hands.  They're much better off there than they are with me.  I can do nothing.  He can do anything.  Second, I count my blessings.  I realize how blessed I am that I haven't had a month that slow in two years!  That's something to be thankful for.  I'm thankful for the support of my friends and family.  I'm thankful that even though the sales were slow, I still had some sales.  And believe me, I thanked God profusely over each and every one of those sales last month.  Really, those two things are usually all it takes to bring me out of the doldrums and into the sunlight.  I'm blessed beyond measure and God is taking care of me.  I may not be exactly where I would like to be, but I'm exactly where He wants me to be.  He knows what is for my ultimate good and that's really what I want for my life.

Right now I am thankful that God has blessed me with a great start in sales for the month of March!  And I still thank God profusely for each of those sales as well.  Each one is precious to me.  Starting tomorrow, Smell the Roses, will be on sale for just $0.99!  I'm praying that will help my sales as well, but if it doesn't, I know I'm still in God's hands.

Best Laid Plans (KW Consulting Book 1)
Smell the Roses (KW Consulting Book 2) <---- (This one will be $0.99 March 4 - March 11, 2015)
Dress for Success (KW Consulting Book 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment