Monday, March 9, 2015

Writer's Block



My cousin got me this shirt for Christmas and I love it.  My characters sort of are like imaginary friends - scary, but true.  Yesterday, they stopped talking to me.  I sat and wrote maybe five sentences and gave up in frustration.  The dialogue seemed forced and awkward.  The story wasn't going any where.  It was frustrating.  So I closed the computer and walked away.  I'm not going to force something just to say that I had written something.  If it's hard to write, then it's time to rest.  

Here's what I'm struggling with right now.  Book four is all about Isabelle and I know where that is going.  Her story is easy to write.  I even have some exciting updates on Georgia and Kate!  Sometimes I have to physically pull myself from their stories to get back to Isabelle.  However, Brooke is not speaking to me right now.  I really don't know where she is going or what to do with her.   I keep hoping that inspiration will hit me and that all of a sudden, I'll know what I should do with her.  But for right now, she's kind of just sitting there in the story, taking up space.

I have some time set aside for writing this afternoon.  I'm hoping that Brooke will start talking to me again and that I'll be able to move her along in the story.  If not, I guess I'll move around her until she decides to tell me where to go.  Characters take on a personality of their own - or at least they should.  It's interesting to see how sometimes they just sort of take over the story.  Or in this case, drag the story down.  The thing is, I like Brooke and I enjoyed writing her story.  But her story is over.  And apparently my brain is satisfied with the ending.  My imagination is struggling to push her somewhere new.  

For now, I'll keep daydreaming, keep writing and keep hoping that I'll be able to get over this writer's block and move the story along.

No comments:

Post a Comment