Thursday, May 19, 2016

The End and a Beginnning


Have you ever noticed how often the end of something begins something else? Today is the end of the school year for my kids, which means it's the beginning of summer vacation. My youngest is finishing preschool which will lead to the start of her elementary school life. My oldest nephew is graduating from high school and will begin college in the fall.

So many things in life end, but start something new and wonderful. When I ended being single, I started my life as a wife. When I became a stay-at-home mom, I ended my work life (at least for a while). That decision led to my being able to have time to sit and write. And that led to me publishing my work on Kindle. And that led me to join American Christian Fiction Writers. And who knows where that will lead? Even each book I write ends, but leads to the next one. Each task I finish leads to another. Each ministry that God moves me from opens me up for another one.

I don't know about you, but I am not someone who looks forward to change. I hesitate. I drag my feet. I'm scared. I don't want to leave behind what is comfortable for the frightening unpredictability of the unknown. Yet when I look back I can see all the wonderful things that God has granted me that wouldn't be possible if something else hadn't ended.

I'm sitting on the brink right now. My husband and I have decided that it's time to for me to pay for a publishing package and put KW Consulting into print. We have the resources for the first time since I began writing. It's time for me to take the next step.

But that next step looks mighty big. I can't see beyond it. What if I can't climb that step? What if I get up there, but fall backwards? I could get hurt.

Then again, what if that step leads to another? What if moving forward in faith is the answer to my prayers about my writing? I could sit here and keep doing what I've been doing - and that will get me the same results I've always gotten. Or I could follow this new path and trust that God is going to guide me and take care of the results.

Why do I assume that when life is changing that it's going to be bad? What I'm really saying is that I don't trust God with my life, my career. I'm telling Him that I want control. I ask for His leading, and then sit where I'm at wondering why He doesn't answer when all the time the path is right there in front of me waiting for me to take that first step.

When you look through Scripture, God was undeniably present when He asked His people to step out in faith. Joshua walked around Jericho, but God brought down the walls. David had his sling, but God defeated Goliath. Daniel stayed faithful, but God closed the mouths of the lions. Peter climbed out of the boat, but God kept him from sinking. Esther went before the king to plead for the lives of her people, but God prepared the way. Over and over again we see that when God's people take the road that He has placed before them, His presence is there and miracles happen.

What is God placing in front of you that seems just too scary? Is something ending that you want to continue, and you are gripping it with both hands until your knuckles are white? Let it go. Let God take your hand and lead you to the next thing for you. Are you standing at the beginning of some journey, and you are too afraid to take that first step? Move forward and watch God take care of the things that you can't. If it is truly where He is leading, He will be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment